Saturday, August 15, 2009

Jesus wore Sandals

Panama City was sunny today! And i saw bluer skies than ever! I slept in late and lounged until we finally decided to venture to the BahHai temple (spell check*). We had missed the entrance about 4 times and asked about 5 different people where the entrance was. All the while it was about 100 yards away at the most each time. We finally managed to find it by asking an elderly gentleman who walked with a limp. We supposed he walked that route everyday and slowly because of the limp, therefore knowing the area well and most likely knowing where the entrance was. 

Success! After climbing a narrow winding road that led to cool fresh air and a welcoming breeze. 
To our bewilderment, and I must admit now to our own ignorance, a lady hailed us down and asked us to please cover up before entering the temple. She went to retrieve some shawls for me and Amanda to cover our legs and for my shoulders. We respectfully complied and waited outside. As we waited we decided to take a photo. The lady came back as we were in action and exclaimed for us to stop and how could we possibly be taking photos in front of the temple with "those" clothes on. Flustered, she handed us the shawls and muttered that "you can't rely on anyone these days" and showed us how to wrap it as a skirt. 

Now, i am completely tolerant and respect religion. But the woman's reaction put me in a foul mood. And we apologized for the photos. I had misunderstood her. My mood of seeing such a wonderful place was tainted. And it was a beautiful place i must say. But all the while i tried to understand her reaction (while being cranky).
Finally i realized that although religion is not the driving force in my life, it was for this woman, and for millions of other people as well. I felt embarrassed that i had shown up in shorts and a tank. This temple was sacred to this woman and the feeling she has for her religion is so strong; a kind of love that i have never understood and maybe never will. Will i ever be so passionate as this woman is for her religion, for something in my life? And if i was ever as passionate, I would have reacted the same way. I would want someone to respect the thing i love, despite them not agreeing with what i love. 

We picked up my mom from the airport around 7 and had a lovely dinner at an italian restaurant near the apartment. We ate merrily and had a tasty sangria. I am so grateful for everything in my life. 

I need the details written, or I'll forget what i stand for. And what does that say about me, if i am constantly forgetting the values i have decided to acquire. So maybe writing will save my soul. It's a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment